Our Life

Our Life

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Baby Bullet and Avocados

I have been dying to use the "baby bullet" my dad gave me for a shower gift. Even before Bethany was born I was excited for the time when I woud finally get to make baby food. Since I have been chomping at the bit to try it out and Bethany is only 10 days away from being 6 months old (the current recommend age for starting solids) I finally decided to  to give it a spin. All it took to fill these six little jars was one avocado, 1/4 or so cup of water, and 10 minutes from start to finish including the clean up! It was SO easy, I definitely recommend it if you're going to be making your own baby food.
 I wasn't really sure how Bethany was going to do with solids, but I was pleasantly surprised that she did pretty well. At first she got the funniest look on her face like "what the heck are you giving me?" and then she did a little shudder and head shake like it was sour. After that response I was expecting it to come right back out. To our delight though she swallowed her first taste of avocado puree' and took another with out a single objection. She actually had about 1/2 the jar in all.
 We did find that she really did prefer to feed herself. She would let me fill the spoon but as soon as I started trying to put it in her mouth she wanted to hold the spoon and put it in her own mouth. Hmm, it seems we have an independent child emerging. Not sure if this is a good sign or not. :)
"Mmm, this avocado is so creamy."
"Here, let me hold the camera with my green slimy fingers."

All in all I would say the experience was a success. Now I have to figure out which veggie I'm going to introduce next since we're doing a month of *vegetables only. I figured I would try and get her to develop a taste for vegetables before I introduce the sweet tasty fruits.

*Just so there is no confusion, I am aware that avocados are technically fruits. I figured that I could consider it a vegetable for this purpose though since it really isn't sweet tasting. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Avocados were (and still are) a big hit around here. So are peas, carrots, potatoes (and sweet potatoes!), eggplant and corn. I made shepherd's pie and pot pies a lot when EJ was first trying solids. That way I didn't have to cook separate things!

    Have you seen the website weelicious.com?

    ReplyDelete