Our Life
Monday, April 7, 2014
Mon Ami
I have started and deleted this post twice already, nothing I can say seems quite right or can fully represent everything that Ami was to me and our family. Like so many dogs she was loyal and intuitive to the needs of the people she loved. Her presence was comforting and calming and she was the epitome of a good dog. There were times I was just sure she spoke English and unless there was a leash law I never put her on one. In fact when there was a leash law and I would start to click the leash on her collar Ami would obediently sit and look at me like, "This is so insulting, you know I don't need this." Yes, Ami I know but we have to follow the rules, sorry.
I have a feeling that Ami probably felt like she raised me a little, or at least helped me make that transition from kid to adult. A lot has happened since I was 19 and my sweet Ami was with me for the whole adventure. She graciously gave up her side of the bed when I got married and politely ignored the cries of our tiny baby girl when we brought her home from the hospital. She loved us, and we loved her and our home and hearts feel just a little bit empty without her.
Of course I can't leave you without telling you about this sweet story that happened on Friday.
Bethany asked what was wrong with Ami and when I told her she was sick and wasn't feeling well Bethany replied, "Ami go to the 'got-ter' (doctor)?" LB then went over to her, laid down beside her and said, "It okay Ami, it okay, I pet you." That's when I snapped the picture above. Bethany then proceeded to get a blanket and put it on Ami saying, "Ami want a blanket, 'dare' (there) you go Ami, 'dare' you go." It was so sweet and I was just about in tears watching my little nurse at work.
We really don't know for sure what was wrong. The vet had a couple theories, possibly a snake bite or maybe even an autoimmune disorder. Really we have no idea, but I'm grateful it wasn't long and drawn out and my sweet Ami isn't suffering.
Goodbye mon Ami, you certainly lived up to your name and you will forever be my friend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am so sorry for your loss. The suddeness makes it extra hard to deal with, but you are right, its hard to watch a dog age and suffer, and she didnt have to do that. Its touching that Bethany was so comforting and caring. - Grammy
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so sorry Ashli! She was one of those pets who was really just a family member with fur. Sweet Ami.
ReplyDeleteEvery time I think about it, I start to tear up and have to make myself think of other things. She was such a great dog! My heart goes out to you!
ReplyDelete