Our Life

Our Life

Friday, April 25, 2014

Baby-led weaning

 As I mentioned in an earlier post, we've kind of been experimenting with baby-led weaning. There are all sorts of theories about why having your baby feed himself is better for future eating habits but honestly I kind of don't really care. I think when you're a mom of babies and young kids you can run yourself ragged trying to keep up with all the theories out there. Seriously, I'm tired just thinking about all the "experts" out there who are trying to convince us we are all doing it wrong!

 So, all that being said, I'm not doing the baby-led weaning thing because of theories, I'm doing it because it is SO MUCH EASIER. All I have to do is steam or roast some veggies while I'm making dinner, maybe cut up an avocado, put it on William's tray and then sit down and feed myself. That's right, I get to spend dinner sitting and eating with the rest of the family including William, as opposed to spoon feeding him a puree' while my dinner gets cold.

So far William seems to enjoy feeding himself and I am more than happy to let him do it. Hopefully he continues to do well, if not I may end up doing a few purees. We're just going with the flow here with baby number two.

For those of you worried about him choking, you shouldn't be. Babies do actually have a really good gag reflex and as long as I'm not giving him something round and slippery (i.e. a hotdog) the likelihood of food getting stuck is very low. Just in case you're still worried, rest assure Tom and I are both quite competent in administering back blows.

3 comments:

  1. I did BLW with Grace! Like you, it wasn't for the "theory" reasons. Actually, I thought their theories were kind of wacky because they insist that purees are dangerous. I don't know about that, but I do know that Grace was having nothing to do with us feeding her, and my milk was tapering, and she wouldn't take a bottle. At that point, I ran across BLW and gave it a try, and it worked for us! We started with those rice crackers (we call them surfboards) that kind of dissolve when you eat them. I'd sometimes put some puree on there to get her used to other flavors. But then I would just steam veggies and give her somewhat mushy veggies, and it worked WAY better than trying to feed her with a spoon. I did also work on spoon feeding, and we did plenty of that, but I was a big fan of BLW with her because that was what worked! We also never had a problem with choking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes the surf boards, those are a favorite around our house as well.

      Delete
  2. I am/did that with Emma in a way too... because the stinker basically refuses to be spoon fed and pretty much always has! I still have a sizable amount of homemade baby food in the freezer that I made 3+ months ago in preparation :-)

    ReplyDelete