On this sunny but very cold and windy morning I can't help but miss San Antonio. I just checked the weather, it's 73 degrees there right now which sounds just delightful. Of course the high for today is 89 which quite honestly is a little warm for March 22nd in my opinion. But 73 degrees, ahhh. How I'm longing for that right now (though I know I will be so thankful to be in Colorado come August). I think I'm especially melancholy this morning in part because we have the promise of snow tonight and through the weekend. Pre-Bethany I would have been ecstatic, we may have even hit the slopes at the last minute or just put on our snow shoes for a quick day hike. Post-Bethnay . . . we'll probably be inside most of the weekend. If we were in Coeur d'Alene we would at least have the Kroc center! I love LB's age right now but sometimes I yearn for her to be just a little older. I have to watch myself though because I know the years will fly by and before I know it she'll be gone.
So since I'm in a lamenting mood I thought I would tell you all the things I'm missing about San Antonio, some expected and some not. Please do not feel obligated to read this list.
The Expected
My friends, how I miss my friends. My church friends that I had lunch with every Tuesday after Ladies' Bible Class . My friend Evan and her little boy Caleb (Bethany's bestie). Rachel, who watched Bethany, but was so much more than a babysitter. My walking buddy Lindsay, and her kiddos. All the moms in our playgroup. I had such a great support system as a new mom, I just could not have asked for more.
The mild winter and great walking weather. I miss our long evening walks. The family time. The calories burned. The old historic houses to look at on post. I miss it all.
I do not miss our little house, but I do miss the big front porch.
The Unexpected
I miss living on post. Everything from the sense of security (even if it was a false sense) to the fact that I could walk to the commissary if I just had a few things I needed. I loved hearing the cadence calls of passing troops during the day and the bugle calls, even if the first one was at 5:30 in the morning. It just seems so quiet in our current neighborhood. It was great being in walking distance to the pool and several different playgrounds. Oh, I also loved the sense of satisfaction I got when I would go running on the track and pass active duty members doing their PT and I was pushing a stroller.
I miss Ernie and Monica, the news anchors on FOX 29 morning news. They were really funny and no one in The Springs even compares.
I miss walking through Alamo Heights with Lindsay and Rachel. The giant houses with Spanish Oak trees in the yards. The thought that maybe we would run into Tommy Lee Jones as we walked by his house. :)
Our Daily Bread Bakery. Scones, muffins, cinnamon rolls, need I say more?
I'm sure I could think of some more, but these things are definitely on the top of my list. As much as I'm missing it, I know I have so much to be grateful for here in The Springs. I have made some new friends and I love that we are only a two hour flight from home. I have found a great church where God has continued to bless me. I have nothing to complain about, but I still think it's okay to mourn the loss of things that are no longer.
I have always held the opinion that there is something positive and wonderful anywhere you go. One just needs to take the time to find it. Debbie
ReplyDelete