Our Life

Our Life

Saturday, February 4, 2012

When the Night is Falling

My favorite time of the day is when we start Bethany's nighttime routine. About 6:30 we get her bath going and Tom and I give her a bath. I'm the "soaper", he is the "rinser". Bethany LOVES the bath and it is so much fun to hear her giggle and see her kick around. Lately she has been trying really hard to sit up in the bath, it won't be long . . .

After her bath we take her in her room and lotion her little body up. Things start to wind down and Tom goes out to the living room to study. I turn the lights down and sing her When the Night is Falling. It's a song we sing at church but it works really well for a lullaby too (my friend Alyson gave me the idea). When I have gotten Bethany in her jammies and I have her all swaddled up we sit in the rocking chair and rock while I nurse her.

It is at this time, when it is dark and quiet (except for the "rain" coming from the noise machine), that I start to pray. I pray for Bethany and Tom, and so many others. Chances are if you know me well enough to read this blog I have probably prayed for you during this time. This week I have been praying extra hard for my friend Ryan and his family. At age 29 he has been diagnosed with a rare form of spinal cancer. He and his wife Jessica have two little kids. My heart hurts for them.

I love this prayer time because I am not rushed, Bethany is slowly falling asleep in my arms and she is warm against my body. After awhile though I stop talking to God and I just sit in his presence. I let him sing his lullaby to me, and I listen to him say "how I love you child, I love you."

2 comments:

  1. You and Tom are Bethanys' perfect "baby whisperers" and "When the Night is Falling" is the perfect lullaby...love it!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete