Our Life

Our Life

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Back to work . . . occasionally

Wednesday is the first day of my new job. I have such mixed emotions. On one hand I am so excited to be going back to work. I love being a nurse. Love it. On the other hand, I love being a mom more.

For the last month or two I have been applying for part time positions (I certainly have no desire to work full time right now). I hadn't even so much as gotten a phone call back until two weeks ago when I got a call from Nix Health. I really wasn't sure if it was going to be a good fit (they were looking for a med/surg nurse which means 12 hour shifts), but I wasn't going to turn anything down over the phone. So I went in for an "interview," it was the most relaxed/casual interview I have ever been to, and left with a job offer. Here is the kicker, it is a PRN (as needed) position and all I am required to work is two shift in a four week period. I don't think I could find a more perfect job if I looked for another year. So, after talking it over with Tom we decided I should accept the job.

Now, I am faced with the reality of leaving our baby for 13 hours (12 hour shift + 30 minute lunch + commute time). :(  Granted she won't be with a sitter for the whole time, only from 9-3, while Tom is at school, but still it is causing me a little anxiety. (Prayers on my behalf are welcome and appreciated.) Fortunately God has sent me Rachel, a fellow PA student wife, who will watch Bethany for us. Regardless of how ideal the situation, it will still be hard to  leave my baby Wednesday morning. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to Thursday, when this first day will be behind us.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a perfect job for you! How wonderful. And your babysitting situation sounds like the best thing that could have worked out too. Sorry about the anxiety - I can't even imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting for you! I'm a little jealous that you have "marketable skill" type job where you can easily work few or odd hours and still be valuable. That's just not the case with lab techs. :) I'm sure it will be hard leaving your sweetie the first couple of times, but it will be a good thing for both of you! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you lived closer you could have a "Granny Nanny" : )

    ReplyDelete