Our Life

Our Life

Sunday, April 25, 2010

A first for me

A few nights ago I had the honor of caring for a wonderful woman during her last hours of life. This was a first for me. After being a nurse for not quite a year I have cared for, and become attached to many dying people, however I have never actually been there during their last minutes. As weird as it might sound I was so glad that I was the one that got to hold her hand, I was the one that hugged her daughter, and I was the one who went in the break room and cried. I wasn't even supposed to work that night but I got called in to work an extra shift. I truly feel like working that night was a special gift from God.
I had been caring for this beautiful lady on and off for about two weeks, and had been there for her the three nights previous to her death. Though she was on comfort care and knew that she would be dying soon she never lost her since of humor. She was constantly teasing me and giving me a bad time. When I would come in to talk with her she would hold my hand and squeeze it. There were times I wished she was my only patient so that I could sit and be with her during my whole shift.
Though I am sad and have shed a few tears, I feel so blessed to have known her. I will remember her forever.

2 comments:

  1. It never ceases to amaze how God blesses and encourages us even in our sadness. I have a feeling this special lady passed from this life so very peacefully because she had a very special nurse(who has been faithful to her calling)compassionately and lovingly holding her hand.
    Love u!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that there is nothing quite as special as being there with someone when they pass away. It is a very special honor and is so comforting to families to know that their loved one is not alone. Nurses are blessed to have such an honor to watch those come into the world and those go out. What a blessing that she had you. Lisa

    ReplyDelete